Sunday, May 28, 2006

RESEARCH MODULE: plans for the future

Where will I take this research and my plans for the future

I am not completely sure where I will go in the future. I'm still interested in interactive narratives- mainly because I see that anything, in anything I mean websites, online portfolios, etc would benefit from a bit of narrative. Why should a website be so informative? Websites are generally there to sell things, whether that be a person, a product, a book, a CD, a company etc ( obviously there are some exceptions online banking being one) advertisements on the television usually have a plot, a short story, a narrative flow why should websites be any different?

Over the summer I plan to completely finish my interactive fairytale and try and get it published on the web, as well as creating a new online portfolio that has a narrative. A narrative about me. You will go on a journey- see various pieces of work along the way and navigate yourself around my working practice. I want to make my portfolio an experience, you might miss some of my work on a first visit but it will be there for you later, should you come back. I'm going to go back and look at Scott Mclouds ideas on interface design.

My final project next year will again be a interactive narrative using mobile devices and GPS. I also want to include XML databases mainly so I can learn how to integrate this into Flash. This project has been a tester, its made me see what I need to concentrate on, as well as testing them as I go through, something I lacked during the last few months. I also want to include speech- I spend a lot of time listening to audio tapes and podcasts something which I love to do. Have been thinking of making an audio story combining interactivity, image, animation and text. You can spend your time sat on the bus listening and watching a story on your phone. Maybe this is only something I am interested in but I think it has scope. As I have previously mentioned I would love to transcribe a 17th century authors work Madelaine DeScubareys work- her novels and salon plays are far to long for anyone to read and as I have already mentioned they are perfect for the web. I don't think this is plausible for a eight month project its simply too large maybe for a PHD in later life! I do plan to go to Oxfords Bodlian Library and see some of her work in the flesh. I would like to use a famous authors work for this type of project, Terry Prachatt has a lot of audio material, and as fantasy is my preferred choice of genre he is perfect, maybe I can get him to write me an interactive story!!!! That is where I have got for next year we will have to see..........

No comments: