Tuesday, April 11, 2006

More research- Flash

I am finally going to start the final images on Thursday which I am rather looking forward to. Have been continuing with my research in all areas especially on design and flash design. Would love to make this project animated or at least include some movement however I worry that this again is slightly ambitious. Good use of motion graphics- Hillmancurtis webdesigners

Narrative:~
Have been going through in my head how it is going to work and one problem that has presented itself is the text. Some of the narratives there is nearly two pages of text on others there is only a short paragraph. This presents problems for the design- So I've come up with an idea of having changing text- you read a bit and then more text appears. I would like to have changing illustrations with the text but as the brain cannot process images and read text this seems slightly pointless. Have been reading James Elkins book "Why are out pictures puzzles? On the modern origins of pictorial complexity" To give myself a base in which to use image, illustration, design to represent thoughts and ideas- as well it has been useful in understanding certain aspects of fairytales. Fairytales often use everyday objects and then good or evil is projected onto them ie The needle, the glass slipper, a basket, a sword, a mirror (Narcisstic reflections on self reflection??!!) The list is endless. I want to know why a piece of flex or in the changed versions a spinning needle was used as the object to cause harm. There must be some reason for this??? These are all types of things that I want to include in the graphics. I hope that each page, as well as the original narrative that goes with it, will have at least four other parts of text explaining things etc. But I need to find what to explain first!

Navigation:~
Again more problems with this aspect of the project. Although I have the basic outline of the structure I'm still not convinced that its going to be obvious and that people will understand what they are doing. Have been thinking of having a short animation detailing the rules, so to speak, showing examples of the paths you can take etc. But again not convinced by this. Its seems like that is giving the reader too many constraints- were going into authorship here will write more on this at a later date.

No comments: