Tuesday, March 14, 2006

In a muddle

After a couple of chats with various people, my problem has become clear. Basile was Italien, throughout history people have transcribed his texts into English and depending on the time in which they were transctribed certain elements were changed with changing attitudes of the time. Like Grimm etc stories were changed to fit with ideals of the time, and very irratating so did transcribers. That is why I have now found three versions of Basile's Sleeping beauty and I'm sure I will find more. From re-reading sections of "From from the Beast to the Blonde" It would appear that Warner took the second translation as her port of call, and her basis for writing about it ( I think this was due to it being a lot more interesting then the first version) What to do? Do I use all the versions or pick one?

No comments: